The weather is heating up and that means summer is on the way! Get your skin ready for all the fun in the sun with these easy DIY masks. Made with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, these masks will help to hydrate and brighten your skin for a natural glow. You want to experience the outdoors during the summer and exercise. Sunburn, breakouts, rashes, eczema flare-ups and other skin problems can get you frustrated. We have a solution.
1. Moisturizing mask for dull skin
As counterintuitive as it may seem, skin drying up from excess heat in the summer is a real thing. In fact, even unusually oily skin in the summer is a sign that your skin may be drying out. The way skin deals with the dryness is by producing sebum that makes your skin extra oily during summer. Excessive oil can attract dirt, pollutants, and goop to settle on the skin, blocking the skin pores. The result is an annoying episode of acne breakouts. The moral of the story is-moisturize your skin even during the summer. Here’s a moisturizing mask you can make at home that uses honey, banana and aloe vera gel.
1. Honey- 1 tbsp
2. Mashed banana- 1
3. Aloe vera gel- 1 tbsp
Benefits of honey Some of its benefits for your skin include
- It is a natural humectant, a moisturizing agent
- It helps maintain the perfect balance for the bacteria in the skin and is popular for its anti-acne effect.
- Helpful for people with skin with autoimmune conditions like psoriasis or eczema.
- Helps soothe, lighten and brighten the skin.
- Fights inflammations.
- Good for healing acne scars.
Benefits of banana for your skin
- It helps moisturize dry skin.
- Softens the skin.
- Loaded with Vitamin A helps smoothen out skin roughness and dryness.
- The presence of B-vitamins present in it fight rogue free radicals and delays aging.
- Zinc fights bacteria that cause acne.
- Vitamin C fights oxidative stress, controls oil, and supports the production of collagen, responsible for your skin texture.
- It helps reduce the appearance of pores and fine lines.
Benefits of aloe vera
- It reduces sun burns.
- Improves the skin tone.
- Reduces acne break outs.
- Moisturizes dry skin and reduces moisture loss.
- Is extremely hydrating for the skin.
- It cleanses your skin deeply.
- Reduces skin irritation and itching.
How to make the DIY Mask?
- Mix the ingredients.
- Place a towel around your neck, tie your hair back.
- Cleanse your face before applying the face mask. You can use Shankara’s Hydrating Cleanser. The ultra-soothing chamomile, lavender, neem, and calendula combine in this luxurious hydrating cleanser that leaves skin feeling soft and supple but never greasy.
- Apply it evenly to your face and let it sit for 10-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water. Using cold water may not help you get rid of all the dirt from the skin and hot water can make the skin dry and itchy.
2. DIY Mask for reducing puffiness
Stepping out of the house can expose your skin to several allergens in the atmosphere. And other times it can simply be due to fluids collecting under the skin or excess cellulite that cause the skin to puff up. Here you can make a face mask using just 2 ingredients-coffee powder and argan oil.
1. Coffee powder- 1 tbsp
2. Argan oil- 4-5 drops
Benefits of coffee powder
- Coffee powder helps reduce puffiness and redness by reducing cellulite production.
- It tightens the skin.
- It helps reduce inflammations.
- It has a calming effect on the skin.
- It can reduce the appearance of red posts and fine lines.
- It can fight off bad bacteria and thereby reduce acne and skin infections.
- It can also reduce dark circles under the eyes. (You can also try Shankara’s Anti Age Eye Cream for its powerful benefits in reducing the appearance of fine lines and dark under-eye circles. This calming cream gently nourishes the delicate skin around the eyes. The cream is made using dozens of natural and exotic ingredients including rosehip oil, cucumber, oils of hazelnut, jojoba, foraha, pomegranate seed, kukui nut, borage, vitamin C ester, among others.)
Benefits of argan oil
- Gives your skin the right sun protection.
- Helps fight acne.
- Reduces premature skin aging.
- Contains many essential nutrients including phenolic compounds and fatty acids, plant sterols and melatonin.
- Rich in antioxidants that prevent skin aging.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Has moisturizing and nourishing properties for skin and hair.
- Is a great binding agent for facial masks.
How to make the DIY mask?
- Take the coffee powder and blend it with argon oil to make a paste.
- Apply it evenly to your face.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
3. DIY Mask for soothing skin
Heat or sun rashes, exposure to drying climates or air conditioners, excessive sweating along with skin that has clogged pores that do not let the sweat evaporate, can all give you itchy skin. Nature abounds in ingredients that are cooling and hydrating to our skin that can heal the rashes, reduce inflammations, and are just the right ingredients to make our summer DIY mask for soothing skin. This mask is particularly helpful if your skin is prone to acne and breakouts.
- Cucumber juice- 1 tbsp yogurt
- Ground oats- 1 tbsp ground oats
- Yogurt-1 cup
Benefits of cucumber for skin
- They can reduce swelling in the skin
- Reduces premature aging of the skin
- Soothes irritating skin
- Reduces excess cellulite
- Reduces dark circles and blemishes
- Reduces eye wrinkles
- Soothes sunburns
- Shankara’s Anti Age Eye Cream for its powerful benefits in reducing the appearance of fine lines and dark under-eye circles. This calming cream gently nourishes the delicate skin around the eyes. The cream is made using dozens of natural and exotic ingredients including rosehip oil, cucumber, oils of hazelnut, jojoba, foraha, pomegranate seed, kukui nut, borage, vitamin C ester, among others.)
Benefits of yogurt for the skin
- It activates the hydrating mechanisms present in the skin.
- It helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- It is a popular prebiotic.
- Rich in B vitamins (B2, B5, B12) that moisturize the skin and reduce dryness.
- Prevents premature signs of aging.
- Prevents damage from the skin.
- It has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties that make it useful in fighting acne-causing bacteria.
Benefits of oats for the skin
- It is gently exfoliating for the skin
- It soothes irritated, itchy, and dry skin
- It helps soak excess oil from the skin
- It helps remove stubborn dirt, dead skin cells, and grime from the skin
- It is naturally moisturizing
- It has a mild pH that is calming for inflamed skin
- It is rich in saponins that are effective natural cleansers.
How to make the DIY mask for soothing skin?
- Grind the oats and mix the ground oats with yogurt.
- Take the cucumber juice and pour it over the yogurt and oat mix.
- Apply the paste to your skin. Add more oats to make the paste thick enough.
- Let it rest for about 15 minutes
- Rinse it off gently with warm water.