Irish Soda Bread with wild garlic pesto
You can’t beat the smell of freshly baked bread going through the house, and it’s such a rewarding thing to learn how to make. The great thing about this easy to make recipe is that you can whack it straight in the oven without having to wait hours for the dough to rise.
COOKS IN: 70 MINUTES
- Preheat the oven to 180-200 degrees
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and then rub in the butter
- Pour in the milk and yoghurt and mix quickly together
- Bring the dough together with your fingertips, don’t knead, be gentle!
- Shape it into a circular but flat shape
- Draw a cross in the centre with a knife
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Additional option **
- 2 big handfuls of wild garlic/ramson leaves
- 75g of pine nuts or walnuts or hazel nuts
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Wash the wild garlic
Add all ingredients to a food processor and blitz!
- 250g plain white flour
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 100g oats
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp salt
- 25g butter
- 300ml milk/plant milk
- 200g yoghurt – hazelnut is best!