ABOut all things aromatic
Greetings from Ireland. Most people have a story how they came to be in the field of work they are in.
Mine began circa 1991 (eeek!). While visiting eastern Thailand (near Cambodia) in that year I contracted Malaria of the brain (Falciperum) and almost departed to the ‘happy hunting ground’. It was a frightening experience and thanks to the wonderful professional care I received in the Geelong Hospital, Victoria, Australia I survived. However being discharged, weighing just six stone, it became apparent that full recovery of my health was in my hands and mine alone. I was given no advice or instructions on how to go about this.
Even today the majority of people rely entirely on help outside of themselves for their own good health. Pursuing and participating in your health will be more likely to help increase a positive outcome from an illness or treatment.
In my case good food and plenty of exercise (I went fruit picking for a year) and fresh air played an enormous role on the road to restoration. Complementary Health Care in Australia was a lot more advanced at that time than in many other places. I enrolled in an Aromatherapy & Swedish Massage Night Course and the aromatic journey began. Up until then I had probably only diffused essential oils and put them in the bath, yes, undiluted back then! This I believe enhanced my health’s recovery and opened up an observation of plants and their produce in a way I had never dreamed possible.
Upon returning home to Ireland I began working for a small family owned aromatherapy company in 1994. In 2004 I completed my International Professional Aromatherapy Training Diploma and became a registered aromatherapist with the IFPA.
Since this time I have been extremely fortunate to complete some fascinating CPD Training with many inspiring tutors (thank you all) including:
- Phytomolecular Systemic Interfacial Aromatic Medicine (40 hours) with Dr Daniel Penoel in 2006 (France).
- Aromatherapy & Regenerative Skincare Intensive Training (48 hours) with Ron Guba in 2011 (France) & Aroma Tours.
- Essential Oil Chemistry & Pharmacology Advanced Certificate (12 hours) with Robert Tisserand in 2015 (London).
- Chemistry of Essential Oils Postgraduate Training (6 hours) with Christine Courtney, Obus School in 2017 (Dublin).
- The Essential Oil Safety Master Class with The Tisserand Institute in 2018 (On Line).
- Fundamental Chemistry with Dr J Bowles and The Tisserand Institute in 2020 (On Line).
- Molecular Dynamics with Dr J Bowles and The Tisserand Institute in 2020 (On Line).
- Essential Oil Kinetics Master Class with Dr Petra Ratajc and The Tisserand Institute in 2020 (On Line).
Since 2005 I have provided Aromatherapy Treatments in Elder Care Facilities (the first 2 years voluntarily) . As an accredited trainer I have engaged with a variety of groups and associations to provide aromatherapy classes. I have provided aromatherapy treatments (a good deal voluntarily) to Syrian refugees and Women and Children in Direct Provision in Ireland. I happily continue to work with the same family owned aromatherapy company who continue to inspire me particularly with regard to organic and sustainably produced essential oils and the many complexities in this field. I am grateful to the many wonderful farmers, distillers, suppliers and their families / colleagues who have welcomed me to visit them and experience this side of aromatherapy. Lastly much gratitude to my colleagues in my day job, those in the health food industry here in Ireland and the many wonderful aromatic enthusiasts I have encountered far and wide along the highway.