W H A T I S ” M A S K N E ” ?
In an effort to keep ourselves and loved ones safe, we must wear masks. Unfortunately, safety comes at a cost when it comes to the skin on our face. Long-term mask wearing results in your face being exposed to both sweat and trapped moist air caused by breathing both of which lead to bacterial buildup on the skin, together with the constant friction that is applied on those areas of the face that are in contact with the mask. Over prolonged periods of time, the encapsulation of moisture and bacteria on the surface of the skin by the mask, coupled with its constant rubbing of the skin’s surface, creates the perfect storm for facial skin problems
In this setting of heat, humidity, occlusion and friction, the word “Maskne” has been coined as the catchall term for several facial dermatologic conditions including: periorificial dermatitis, irritant contact dermatitis, and acne mechanica. These skin conditions can lead to the formation of unsightly and painful red rashes, acne-like bumps, and flaking or scaling on the face where the mask is worn.
How do we know that Superfood is the Solution?
Based on our extensive efficacy testing, we know that our Skin Superfood can provide comfort and protection. Our efficacy trials have shown that: after 28 days of use it provided a 42.5% hydration increase in 90% of subjects tested, a highly significant improvement in skin barrier function as evidenced by a 13.4% reduction in trans-epidermal water-loss in 77% of subjects tested, and a 40.5% decrease in skin flakiness in 100% of subjects.
All Codex products use a patented food-grade, micro-biome-supporting preservation system that includes a pro-biotic, a humectant and an emollient, so that by applying Skin Superfood on one’s hands after repeated use of hand sanitizers will minimize damage to the skin microbiome leaving your hands happy, healthy and well nourished. It’s also worth noting that Skin Superfood is MyMicrobiome certified.
How do you prevent or treat MASKNE?
If you wear masks for prolonged periods of time, there are steps you can take to try and minimize the effects of Maskne such as:
- Skip makeup as it can clog your pores and irritate the skin under a mask. However, if you *have* to wear makeup, look for the term “noncomedogenic” on the product as it is less likely to cause pore blockage.
- Gently wash and moisturize (Bia Skin Superfood or Skin Superfood + Facial Oil to lock in the moisture) your face both before and after wearing a mask, especially after prolonged periods of wear, remembering to also use sunscreen when out in the sun.
- Avoid harsh scrubs and exfoliators/peels. For oily skin, try a gentle wash (Bia Exfoliating Wash) and for sensitive skin, a gentle, pH-balanced non-soap cleansing oil (Bia Wash Off Cleansing Oil) that doesn’t strip the skin of its natural oils. For oil control or to lock in moisture, use a light, dry oil (Bia Facial Oil).
- Avoid touching your face and picking at pimples as this can lead to increased bacterial contamination and problem-causing inflammation.
- Avoid using products that contain retinol/retinoids under the mask as these active ingredients are known to be inherently irritating, instead using them only at night before going to bed.
- If you wear a mask made of fabric, be sure to wash it regularly and rotate its use daily.
- For non-frontline workers, opt for masks made of cotton or bamboo which are gentler on the skin when it comes to friction.
Why is Superfood the Solution?
The patented BiaComplex in the Skin Superfood is responsible for these results. BiaComplex is made of macerated oil infusions of calendula, immortelle and comfrey that are mixed with water infusions of heartsease and mallow. Each of these plant extracts provides a specific function:
- Immortelle keeps the skin covered with a protective film to trap in moisture;
- Comfrey has keratolytic properties that help shed the drier, outer layers of the epidermis;
- Heartsease contains polysaccharides that boost the skin’s capacity to retain water by improving osmotic function;
- Marsh mallow helps moisturize and protect the skin;
- Calendula provides soothing for dry, cracked or itchy skin.
What other Codex Beauty Bia Products can Help?
The Bia Exfoliating wash contains salycillic acid and gently exfoliating jojoba grains for daily removal of dead skin cells caused by the mask rubbing against the skin. Based on our efficacy testing, we know that it not only effectively exfoliates the skin, but that it also preserves the skin barrier and its proper functioning. More particularly, based on our measured efficacy data it has been shown that after 28 days of use the Bia Exfoliating Wash provided a highly significant improvement in skin barrier function as evidenced by a 14% reduction in trans-epidermal water-loss reduction in 74% of subjects tested, as well as a 42.9% decrease in skin flakiness in 100% of subjects tested.
The Bia Wash Off Cleansing Oil is a gentle, non-soap alternative for removing make up and grime that locks in moisture, preserves the skin barrier, while at the same time helping to control sebum production for those with sensitive skin. We know this based on our measured efficacy data which showed that after 28 days of use it provided a 2% increase in hydration in 100% of subjects tested, a highly significant improvement in skin barrier function as evidenced by an 8% reduction in trans-epidermal water-loss in 88% of subjects tested, and an 8% decrease in sebum production in 82% of subjects tested.
The Bia Facial Oil is a light, dry oil that helps seal in moisture, maintain the skin barrier, reduce flakiness, and control sebum. We know this based on our measured efficacy data which showed that after 28 days of use it provided a 168.2% increase in hydration in 100% of subjects, a highly significant improvement in skin barrier function as evidenced by an 11% reduction in trans-epidermal water-loss reduction in 83% of subjects tested, a 42.9% decrease in skin flakiness in 100% of subjects tested, and a 27.5% decrease in sebum production in 93% of subjects tested. By applying the facial oil in combination with the superfood, prior to mask wearing, your face will be better able to defend itself against the condition known as Maskne.