What do you do when you’ve only got the absolute basics in your pantry and you’re in need of sustenance, pronto?
The vegan staple, pulses, are an excellent base for a multitude of yummy meals. With the addition of an onion or two, some spices, a piece of ginger if you feel like it, and a can of coconut milk (or any other plant-based cream/milk), you can create major deliciousness on a shoestring.
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon each: powdered cumin, coriander and curry
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 cup uncooked puy lentils – or any other type of lentil
- 1/2 cup split peas
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil gently, and add the chopped onion. Stir for about 2 minutes, until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the chopped ginger and spices, and mix while heating for about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and the pearl barley, and turn the heat up. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the lentils and split peas to the pan, and some more water if needed and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and let the mixture simmer for a while. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper and more spices if desired. Serve, and enjoy!