This plant-based pick is just as meaty as the original. This hearty dish uses meaty mushrooms and protein-rich lentils to beef up a completely plant-based dinner. Meat eaters won’t even realize it’s vegan!
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 8 oz.cremini mushrooms, trimmed and chopped in a food processor
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 c.dry white wine
- 1 c.red lentils
- 1 14.5-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp.mushroom bouillon base (we used Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 lb.pappardelle, linguine or fettuccine
- Chopped parsley, for serving
- Heat oil in Dutch oven on medium. Add onion, season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep brown and beginning to stick, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in garlic and crushed pepper, and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring until dark brown, 2 minutes. Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits, then stir in lentils, tomatoes, 2 cups water, and bouillon. Bring to a boil, then simmer until lentils are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta per package directions. Serve bolognese over pasta, topped with parsley if desired.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving): About 530 calories, 10 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 22 g protein, 790 mg sodium, 88 g carbohydrates, 9 g fiberRecipe by goodhousekeeping.com