SUGAR-FREE STUFFED SPECULAAS MADE FROM BUCKWHEAT FLOUR & DATES
Sugar-free Stuffed Speculaas
made from Buckwheat Flour & Dates
Prep: 25 minutes
for a small baking dish
- 100 grams of almond flour
- 150 grams fresh dates (optional 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract)
- 250 grams buckwheat flour
- 100 grams coconut oil or butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons speculaas spices (from the shop or make it yourself! See recipe below)
- a pinch of salt
- a hand of almond shavings
For the speculaas blend:
- 8 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp of ground cloves
- 2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp ground anise seed
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ¾ tsp of ground cardamom
- Make the filling by grinding 100 grams of dates in the food processor with 100 grams of almond flour. Knead this into a ball and put it in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Split 1 egg. In the food processor; mix the buckwheat flour with the 50 gram remaining dates, 1 egg and 1 egg white (so the egg yolk of 1 egg is left over), the coconut oil, spices and the pinch of salt.
- Make two balls of this mixture, and roll them out with a rolling pin so that they fit in the oven dish. If necessary, use some extra buckwheat flour on the rolling pin if the dough i9s sticky. Then put one layer in the dish (you can shape it with your fingers until it covers the bottom well, and then divide the almond filling over it. Again, just use your hands to press it into every corner. Then put the last layer of dough on top and press again.
- Beat the remaining egg yolk and spread it over the top of the dough with a brush. Sprinkle a handful of almond shavings on top. Then place the baking dish in the oven and bake the filled speculaas of buckwheat flour in about 30 minutes until golden brown.
Who are you going to surprise with this home-baked delicacy? The house smells so good of speculaas when you take it out of the oven.