Vegan Spinach Quiche
This vegan spinach quiche is creamy, cheesy and totally delicious! It is baked in a flaky homemade pie crust that is very easy to make and can be prepared in under 10 minutes! Impress all your guests with this simple vegan quiche recipe for the ultimate savory breakfast, brunch, or lunch!
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour 190g, or sub gluten-free flour blend
- 2.8 oz vegan butter 80g
- 1 flax-egg (see instructions) or add just 3-4 tbsp cold water (or use 1 regular egg, if non-vegan)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of turmeric optional for the yellow color
- 2 tbsp non-dairy cream optional to brush the pie crust for shiny color
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ stick leek (light green or white part only) or 4 scallions, or 1 regular onion
- 12.3 oz fresh spinach 350g, optional frozen spinach
- 12.3 oz silken tofu 350g, drained
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour or soy flour, optional sub cornstarch
- 2–3 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp turmeric optional for color
- ¾ tsp garlic powder optional
- 4.4 oz vegan feta cheese 125g, or other shredded cheese (optional)
- pine nuts
*Note: Please watch the recipe video and check out the step-by-step pictures in my blog post for visual instruction!
Prepare Pie Crust
To make the flax-egg stir 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds in 3 tbsp water. Set aside for 5 minutes. (If you skip the flax-egg, add a little cold water).
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add cubed vegan butter and the flax-egg (or just cold water). Knead with your hands until the dough starts to clump together. Transfer to a working surface and continue kneading until a smooth dough forms.
Flatten dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Roll out evenly on a floured surface, about ⅙-inch (4mm) thick, then transfer into an 8×2-inch (20x5cm) or 9-inch lightly greased pie dish. Shape the edges as you like (or crimp them) and prick the bottom a few times with a fork. (*Read recipe notes if you want to pre-bake your crust).
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
In a large pan, heat the oil. Add in the leek or scallions, and sauté for about 3 minutes until lightly browned and softened. Add the spinach, and continue cooking until wilted, about 2 minutes (or simply thaw frozen spinach).
Transfer into a colander and drain. Then wrap in paper towels and squeeze to remove any excess liquid.
Blend the tofu, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, and seasonings until smooth and creamy.
Add spinach mixture and mix to combine. Then, stir in crumbled vegan feta cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. (If the filling seems too thick, add a bit of non-dairy cream, or if it seems too watery, stir in a bit of flour.)
Fill the filling into the prepared crust, smoothing out evenly.
Bake for 10 minutes to set pie crust, then turn the temperature down to 356°F (180°C) and bake for further 30-40 minutes until filling is set and light golden brown on top. (*If the crust seems getting too dry during baking, brush with a little non-dairy cream for a shiny golden color, and if it’s getting too dark, cover loosely with aluminum foil or baking paper).
Allow the quiche to cool slightly before slicing. Top with toasted pine nuts and serve with dips if you like.
- If you want to pre-bake your crust for a crispier result, top with dried beans or chickpeas to avoid collapsing, and blind bake for 15 minutes at 425°F. Then lower temperature to 356°F, remove the beans, add the filling and bake for another 30-40 minutes.
- The baking time may vary, depending on your oven temperature, which pie dish you use, or if you cover the quiche during baking. I recommend checking every now and then.
- Please read my blog post for additional information on this recipe.
- Nutrition information is calculated for 1 Serving of 8.