Shakshuka with a combinated Vegan Garlic Tear & Share Bread recipe
Have you ever tried shakshuka? In this recipe, eggs are poached in a spicy, spinach-flecked tomato sauce. It’s a nourishing, delicious dinner or brunch! With this we placed this extra recipe of Vegan Garlic Tear & Share bread, so you can dip the bread into the shakshuka and enjoy diner all together!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste*, see note
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 to 5 eggs
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 avocado, diced
- Microgreens for garnish, optional
- Toasted bread, for serving
Heat the oil over medium heat in a 12-inch lidded stainless steel or enamel-coated cast-iron skillet. Add the onion, red pepper, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic, paprika, cumin, and cayenne, if using. Stir and let cook for about 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes and harissa paste. Simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Make 3 to 5 wells in the sauce and crack in the eggs. Cover and cook until the eggs are set, 5 to 8 minutes. The timing will depend on how runny you like your egg yolks.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with the feta, parsley, avocado, and microgreens, if using. Serve with toasted bread for scooping.
A delicious, fluffy garlic bread that’s vegan and perfect for sharing. (Or just to have by yourself).
- 800 grams flour bread flour or all purpose
- 520 grams water
- 20 grams fresh yeast if using dry yeast: 10 grams
- 16 grams salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried garlic 10 grams
- 1 tbsp thyme 10 grams
- 2 tbsp vegan butter o margarine
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced 4 small cloves
- handful fresh sage sub thyme if you don’t have sage
In a bow, combine the flour, salt, water, yeast and olive oil.
mix all of the ingredients. once it starts coming together knead for 5 to 8 minutes until a smooth dough.
oil the bowl, cover with a damp towel and place the bowl in a warm spot in your house. in winter, i like placing it in the oven with the light on.
after an hour, or once more or less doubled in size, divide into more or less equally sized balls and place next to each other on a lined baking sheet.
leave for another hour.
preheat the oven to 250 C (480 F) degrees. If possible with a tray of hot water in the bottom of the oven.
place the bread in the oven. after 15 minutes, remove the hot water and reduce the heat to 230 C (440 F).
on a low heat, melt the butter and add the minced garlic. add the sage or thyme.
pour over the bread after baking and dig in!