Vegan Berry Love Pies w/ Red Velvet Crust
Love is in the air, Happy Valentine’s Day! In honor of this holiday, I made a special pink and red treat for you all: Vegan Berry Pie w/ Red Velvet Crust. This recipe is low in fat, nut-free, no-bake, raw, and easy peasy orange squeezy to put together. Feel free to decorate your love pies however you (or your love) would like, but above are ideas on how you could serve these. Details on how I decorated these can be found down below.
People say that Valentine’s Day is one of those days that you either hate or love, but that’s because of all the stigma that is placed upon it regarding romance and the search for your one true love. But in order to experience that genuine love, we first must love ourselves. Change your mind set and use this day to instead reflect on the love you have for yourself!
Vegan Berry Love Pies with Red Velvet Crust
- Cupcake or muffin pan
Berry Jam Filling
- 15 medium strawberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Optional: Dash of vanilla powder
- ¾ cup gluten-free oats
- ½ cup organic dried mulberries
- 12 medjool dates, pitted
- 4 dried black figs, stems removed
- 2 tbsp organic carob or cacao powder
- 1 tsp organic beet juice powder
- 1.5 tsp organic strawberry powder
- 3 tbsp raw almond milk
Optional add ins and topping ideas:
- Orange juice (2 tsp into jam)
- Fresh or dried fruit
- Crushed nuts
- Coconut flakes
- Whole berries
Berry Jam FIlling
- Blend all of the ingredients together, except for the chia seeds, until smooth. Pour into a jar or sealable container and stir in th3 chia seeds.
- Cover and place into a refrigerator overnight (or at least 2 hours).
- Place the dates and figs into the food processor and run until a thick paste is formed.Remove and set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients (except for the almond milk) into the food processor, and run until rough flour is formed.
- Add the date fig paste back in, almond with the almond milk, and run until mixed. A ball should form.
- Place the mixture into a bowl, and try to spread it out along the sides of it to be sure a lot of its surface area i chilled. Place into the freezer for 15 mins.
- Line your muffin/cupcake pan with parchment paper but use strips about double the size.
- Take about 2 tbs of the crust and press it against the sides and bottom of the cupcake pan to form a crust. This will yield 3 crusts, as you will need to reserve some for the topping.
- Place back into the freezer for 15 mins.
- Remove from the freezer and fill with the jam. Place it back into the freezer while you prepare your crust topping.
- Remove the pies from the pan and top.
- Lattice: After chilling the crust in the freezer and allow it to become less sticky and more easily handled with your hands, roll out a thin layer, and cut into 8-9 even strips. Lay it upon your pie. Make sure you smooth out the ends and remove any extra.
- Shape: In spirit of the holiday, I used a heart, but feel free to use any shape that you’d like.
- Other: Any other topping you choose! I picked fresh strawberries.
Extra crust? Roll into balls, and eat it as a truffle!