(Recipe) Gluten-free Strawberry & Yogurt sheet cake
This cake is tender, fruity, light, healthy, and incredibly easy to make! It has a melt-in-your-mouth texture and the yogurt frosting is so silky (you won’t believe that it is made of only 2 simple ingredients). The best thing about this cake is that it is not overly sweet and is refined sugar-free, so you can have it not only as a dessert but breakfast and/or mid-day snack as well!
For the cake
- 300 g (2 ¼ cup) gluten-free flour
- 150 ml (1/4 cup) coconut oil (melted) ( you can also use light cooking oil such as sunflower or canola )
- 3 eggs
- 360 g (1 ½) coconut yogurt (if you don’t need to make it dairy-free you can use normal lactose-freee yogurt)
- 200 ml (1/2 cup) Maple Syrup
- 240 g (3/4 cup) strawberry jam (see notes for homemade sugar-free recipe)
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp salt
For the frosting
- 360 g (1 ½ cups) coocnut yogurt
- 50 ml (5 tbsp) Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or the scraped seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- 100 g fresh strawberries (for decoration)
To make the cake
Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (or 350 degrees F). Generously grease a 9×13 inch cake pan.
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand-held mixer) beat together the oil, yogurt, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla,. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined. Gently swirl in the strawberry jam, leaving large streaks and not fully incorporating the jam.
Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan and bake 28-30 minutes, until the top is just set and no longer wiggly in the center. Let the cake cool down completely before spreading the frosting.
To Make the Yogurt Frosting
In a bowl of a stand mixer ( or a hand-held mixer) whisk the coconut yogurt until it becomes really thick, around five to 10 minutes. It’s really important to whisk the yogurt on its own first, before adding the maple syrup. Once it feels very thick and holds its shape, add the syrup and vanilla and continue whisking for a further minute.
Once the cake is completely cooled, spread the frosting over it, top it with fresh strawberries. Slice & serve
Cover leftover cake tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.