Recently, we’ve been on a serious DIY beauty kick. We’ve tried and tested quite a few recipes and this week we’d like to share with you 5 of our best DIY beauty discoveries. Because making masks and scrub with all-natural ingredients is fun. Let’s have fun together!
LA MAV’S PICKS OF DIY HOMEMADE PRODUCTS
Homemade Facial Steam
Apart from being incredibly relaxing for both your body and your mind, herbal steam facials benefit your skin and allow you to achieve radiant complexion naturally. The steam boosts circulation improving the flow of oxygen and nutrients to the skin, which gives you an instant glow-boost. Steam facials help to decongest skin and unclog pores, reducing the risk of unwanted breakouts. Last but not least, it’s an affordable way to have an at-home spa.
La Mav tried the Homemade Facial Steam from Camillestyles.com
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 bath towel
For an Awakening Facial Steam:
equal parts (one tbsp for single use):
If you’d like to make enough for multiple uses, you can store in an airtight container and keep in a dry place.
- Set a medium bowl on a stable surface, preferably at a height to easily lean your head over.
- Boil 2 quarts of water, add your favorite combination of herbs and flowers, and allow to steep 2-3 minutes.
- Strain herbs and flowers, and pour the water into the bowl.
- Drape the bath towel over your head to form a “tent”, while leaning your head over the bowl.
- Steam your face for up to 10 minutes, or until the bowl stops steaming.
- Rinse your face with cold water and pat dry.
DIY Turmeric Honey Probiotic Face Mask
This mask is a true miracle worker! Not only does it leave your skin glowing with health, but it also helps reduce blemishes, pigmentation and fine lines.
Rich in potent antioxidants and bio-actives with anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric protects skin cells from oxidative stress, preventing premature ageing. The mild exfoliating properties of yoghurt boost cell turnover to reveal smoother and more radiant skin surface. The high doses of vitamins and minerals in honey, nourish and strengthen the skin, improving its overall tone and appearance.
This quick, easy, inexpensive homemade turmeric and honey face mask is as simple as pouring 3 natural ingredients into a bowl. THAT’S IT!
Our Favourite Recipe: Turmeric Honey Face Mask
- 1 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon raw, organic honey
- 1 tablespoon organic plain (unflavored) yogurt or kefir
- In a small glass bowl, combine turmeric, honey and yogurt. Stir to combine.
- Apply mask to clean face. Let mask sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water and a washcloth.
- Moisturize as normal.
- 1/4 Cup of Salt
- 10 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 3 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons of Jojoba Oil
Homemade Peppermint Foot Scrub
With summer approaching, it’s time to pay attention to our feet. Since our feet will be “on display” throughout the whole summer season it’s essential to make sure they are nourished and hydrated. If you don’t have time to go to the salon for a pedicure, why not try giving yourself one at home?
A homemade feet scrub + a rich, thick cream applied every evening before bed, can do wonders for the skin on your feet. You’ll immediately feel the difference.
- Chop mint leaves and place in small container
- Add salt, essential oil and Jojoba oil to mint leaves and mix.
- Scrub feet and rinse off!
Brandee’s Chic Tip: This is something that I would make ahead and keep near the shower so I can grab last minute. Store in an airtight container, preferably glass to make the mixture last.
DIY Pink Grapefruit Lip Balm
Lips need hydration, nourishment and protection all year round (regardless of the season), and we believe that every woman should have one in her makeup bag. Lip balms are relatively easy to make and there are plenty of DIY recipes on the internet to choose from. This recipe, however, is among the best ones we’ve tried. We can’t miss sharing it with you!
PS: This balm is addictive! * (you’ve been warned) *
The scent of grapefruit is so energizing and refreshing – we simply can’t get enough of it!
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon grated beeswax, packed, weighing 4 grams
- 1 Tablespoon shea butter
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon castor oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 Teaspoon grapefruit essential oil (or your favorite scent)
- Optional color:
- powdered beet root, or
- less than 1 Teaspoon fresh beet juice
- 6–8 container of your choice
- In a small saucepan, heat the beeswax, shea butter, coconut oil, and castor oil together over low heat until the beeswax is completely melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add in the essential oil and optional color. Add the coloring agent of your choice slowly mixing in a tiny bit at time until the desired shade is reached.
- Pour the liquid lip balm into clean containers of your choice.
- Store for up to 4 months
La Mav’s Favourite Recipe: Homemade Pink Grapefruit Lip Balm