(Recipe) Black forest mud cake
(Recipe) Black Forest Mud Cake
Introducing the indulgent and irresistible Black Forest Mud Cake, a delectable dessert that masterfully combines the rich flavors of chocolate, cherries, and whipped cream. Inspired by the classic German dessert, the Black Forest Cake, this luxurious mud cake variant pays homage to its origins while adding a sumptuous twist. Dive into the world of this decadent treat, where the moist and velvety chocolate cake meets luscious cherry filling and is topped with a cloud of whipped cream, creating an unforgettable symphony of textures and flavors. Perfect for celebrations, special occasions, or simply as a delightful treat to satisfy your sweet tooth, the Black Forest Mud Cake is sure to captivate your senses and leave you longing for another slice.
- 200g dark (45%) chocolate, chopped
- 300g unsalted butter, chopped, softened
- 500g sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour, sifted
- 100g dark cocoa, sifted
- 5 eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 250g caster sugar
- 200g brown sugar
- Fresh cherries, to decorate
Chocolate and cherry frosting
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped, softened
- 2 2/3 cups (320g) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (75g) good-quality cocoa powder, sifted
- 315g cherry jam
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm x 5cm deep rectangular cake pan and line base and sides with baking paper.
- Place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water) and stir until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Place remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add cooled chocolate mixture and, using a large whisk or spatula, mix until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean with a few moist crumbs. Stand in pan for 30 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer until pale. Beat in vanilla and cocoa. Spread over cooled cake and drizzle over cherry jam. Scatter with fresh cherries, to serve.