❤ For all orders of €200 and above, receive a complimentary Vemel Discovery Set (worth €20) ❤
The chocolates of Zotter are worldwide known under chocolate lovers.
The carefully chosen ingredients join in a perfect melting point.. This Austrian chocolate maker understands what it takes to make good chocolate! Zotter offers a large variety of products: chocolate bars, filled bars, drinking chocolate, praline bars and coverture in several come at a friendly price. The slightly eccentric packaging is not only pretty but also tells you the interesting story behind the bar, about tropical rainforests and unique cocoa varieties.
30 years of hand-scooped chocolates are being celebrated by Zotter. Again, Josef Zotter and his daughter Julia developed a variety of new hand-scooped flavors, including South Tyrolean PawPaw and timeless flavors like Poppy Seed & Cherry and Vanilla + Crisps. Numerous hand-scooped chocolate minis and miniature gifts like Stress Stopper and Thank You are also new additions to our assortment. And our Mitzi Blue is presented in a completely new layout with tiny product images on the wrappers.
More about Zotter Chocolate
We make everything in-house, from the first step to the last, thus making us one of the very few bean-to-bar producers in Europe. The roasting, milling and conching is done in small batches, adjusted to the individual cacao bean so we can demonstrate the exciting world of cacao. We often travel to our cacao growing regions in order to find the most sublime and rare cacao varieties. Not unlike wine, each cacao variety has its own very distinct flavour, shaped by the terroir of its growing region. Sometimes that flavor is nutty, sometimes it has more of a flowery bouquet like the Ecuadorian beans or more citrus notes like the beans from Madagascar. All our chocolates contain only the best raw materials. We use fine flavour cacao bean varieties as opposed to ordinary bulk cocoa, we exclusively use cocoa butter instead of palm oil, raw cane sugar, milk from alpine farms and genuine Bourbon vanilla, the second most expensive spice in the world after saffron. The Austrian location employs around 200 people who produce fresh chocolate every day and also take care of all the other things our workshop requires.
- 100% BEAN-TO-BAR: Zotter chocolates are produced starting from the bean in our bean-to-bar chocolate factory.sustainability.
- Our entire business is Fair Trade verified. We are a member of WFTO – the World Fair Trade Organization, which is the umbrella organization for global fair trade. The WFTO monitors business compliance with the 10 principles of fair trade like transparency, respect for the environment, the payment of fair prices and no use of child labour among others.
- We use our own FAIR logo because we take a step beyond those directives. We want to give our customers the absolute assurance that we pay the world market price many times over, that we can guarantee the highest quality of our raw materials, buy directly from our suppliers and also ensure complete physical traceability. This means our products contain 100% fair traded, high-quality ingredients.
- All the ingredients for the chocolate come from ORGANIC cultivation. The number of the organic board of control servesas identifying information.
- The protection of the environment is a very important aspect of our corporate philosophy. Our environmental protection and our environmental measures are ISO 14001 and EMAS certified. EMAS-certified companies are recorded in a Europe-wide register and are regularly checked and monitored on a national level by environmental experts approved by the environment department.
- We buy our cocoa directly from our cocoa farmers, pay much more than the standard global market price, and support them so they prioritise quality and cultivating fine flavour cocoa varieties like Criollo, Trinitario, Chuncho, Nacional and Nativo. This enables the farmers to be completely independent from the global market and its focus on low-grade consumer cocoa. We travel to the cocoa growing regions often in order to meet the cocoa farmers and in return, we invite them to visit us at our choco factory. Special, top quality products can only be created through great cooperations and personal, friendly relationships.
- Zotter’s success is living proof that ecologically and socially sound business practices are economically viable. Zotter is one of the most sustainable companies in Austria. The company’s holistic concept, which follows on from the decision only to use organic and fair traded ingredients, is evolving and progressing continuously. We have also gained an EMAS certificate: external environmental experts assessed our production life cycle and our environmental goals and found them exemplary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since we refrain from using stabilisers and preservative agents, our chocolates are more temperature-sensitive than other chocolate products.
The chocolates should ideally be stored in a cool and dry place with a temperature between 16°C and 18°C.
Please do not store chocolates in the fridge, where they would lose the sugar content would crystallise due to the humidity.
On the other hand heat has the effect that the cocoa butter is released and deposited as a white layer on the surface. Due to the loss of the cocoa butter the chocolate would dry up and naturally lose its aroma.
Our chocolates come with a natural shelf life, as we do not use any artificial preservatives. Natural fat like cocoa butter, nuts or alcohol serve as natural preservatives.
Shelf life itself varies, depending on the type of our chocolate. You can find the information concerning minium shelf life from shipping date at each product description in our online shop.
There is a constant discussion about cost-efficiently produced syrups going on on the internet, which serve as cheap sugar substitutes. In our case, glucose and invert sugar-syrup doesn't substitute the processed raw cane sugar, but prevents the product from drying out as well as attracting moisture. Therefore for us this syrup doesn't serve as a cheap sugar substitutes, but is used for keeping the shelf life up.
Comparing the wholesale prices, organic glucose and invert sugar-syrup isn't cheaper than organic and fair traded sugar. It's price is even higher.
Glucose and invert sugar-syrup is a yellowish, viscous fluid, containing the sugars glucose (grape sugar) and fructose (fruit sugar). Due to its composition, this sweet mixture has properties similar to honey. It is produced out of organic corn and organic sugar which comply with the current legal requirements of the European Union.
Honey is a viscous invert sugar solution, which's carbohydrates compound mainly of the sugars fructose and glucose. Although honey is similar to glucose and invert sugar-syrup, it shows a specific natural flavour.
This syrup is used with fillings of chocolate-products, sweet products, long-life bakery products, fruit preparations, fruit-juice, fruit-syrups, ice-cream, etc., therefore as well in some of our chocolates.